As the legalization of marijuana continues to spread across the United States and other countries, many people are exploring different methods of cannabis consumption. The most popular methods are smoking cannabis and consuming cannabis edible products. Recently many have tried CBD/THC bath bombs which is part of our newest lineup. In this article, we will delve into the differences between these methods, covering aspects such as the onset of effects, duration, potency, and health implications. We will also discuss the various forms of consumption and how to dose edible cannabis products correctly.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Cannabis Consumption
Cannabis, also known as marijuana, is a plant that contains various psychoactive compounds, the most prevalent being delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is responsible for the “high” associated with cannabis consumption and interacts with the cannabinoid receptor system in the brain. Cannabis products can contain varying concentrations of THC and other cannabinoids, such as cannabidiol (CBD).
The effects of cannabis consumption can vary depending on the method in which it is consumed. Some people prefer smoking cannabis, while others opt for cannabis edibles products. The latest method is using cannabis bath bombs, which are part of our new lineup. All methods have their advantages and disadvantages, which we will explore in this article.
2. Methods of Cannabis Consumption
There are several methods of cannabis consumption available, each with its unique characteristics and effects. These methods include:
- Joints or bongs (smoking)
- Dabbing (smoking of concentrated extract)
- Vaping (use of an electronic vaporizer)
- Edibles (cooked into food and eaten)
- Topicals (lotions, sprays, oils, and creams)
- Tinctures (alcoholic solutions)
In this article, we will focus primarily on smoking cannabis and consuming edible cannabis products, as these are the most common methods of consumption.
3. Smoking Cannabis
Smoking has been the traditional method of consuming cannabis for many years. When cannabis is smoked, the active compounds, such as THC and CBD, are absorbed through the lungs and into the bloodstream, rapidly reaching the brain.
How Inhaled THC Enters the Bloodstream
When cannabis is smoked or vaped, the inhaled vapor passes through the lungs, into the bronchi, and then into the air sacs known as alveoli. In the alveoli, THC penetrates the bloodstream and is rapidly absorbed by various organs and tissues, particularly the brain and fat cells. This rapid absorption allows users to feel the effects of smoking cannabis almost instantly, but the effects are generally short-lived compared to those of edibles.
4. Cannabis Edibles Products
Edible cannabis products are becoming increasingly popular as an alternative to smoking. These products are made by infusing cannabis extracts into various types of food, such as brownies, cookies, gummies, and beverages. Edibles provide a different experience compared to smoking, as they are processed through the digestive tract and liver, leading to a slower onset of effects and a longer-lasting high.
Types of Edibles
Edible cannabis products come in a wide variety of forms, including:
- Baked goods (brownies, cookies)
- Gummies and hard candies
- Beverages (teas, sodas)
- Chocolate bars
Some edible products are made using whole-plant cannabis extracts, which contain additional beneficial compounds such as CBD, terpenes, and flavonoids. Others may use purified THC or CBD extracts, ensuring that the product contains only the desired cannabinoid.
Strength of Edibles
The strength of edibles depends on the concentration of THC and other cannabinoids present in the product. Due to the way edibles are metabolized in the liver, the THC in these products is converted into 11-hydroxy-THC, a more potent and longer-lasting compound than delta-9-THC. This conversion process is responsible for the increased potency and duration of the effects of edibles compared to smoking.
Health Benefits of Edibles
Consuming edibles may offer certain health benefits over smoking cannabis. For individuals with lung or respiratory issues, edibles provide a safer method of consumption that does not involve inhaling smoke or vapor. Additionally, edibles allow for more precise dosing, enabling users to better control the intensity of their cannabis experience.
Cons of Edibles
There are some drawbacks to consuming edibles as well. For those who enjoy the experience of smoking cannabis, edibles may not provide the same satisfaction. Additionally, the delayed onset of effects can be frustrating for some users, and the high calorie, sugar, and fat content of certain edible products may be a concern for those watching their diets.
5. Metabolism of THC in Edibles
The process of metabolizing THC in edibles is different from that of smoking cannabis. When THC from edibles is consumed, it travels through the digestive tract to the liver, where it is converted to 11-Hydroxy-THC. This process can take anywhere from 45 minutes to three hours, depending on various factors such as the individual’s metabolism and the presence of other foods in the stomach.
6. Comparing the Effects of Smoking and Eating Cannabis
The effects of edibles and smoked cannabis share some similarities, such as inducing relaxation, relieving stress, and alleviating certain symptoms like nausea and pain. However, the onset, duration, and intensity of these effects can vary significantly between the two methods of consumption.
- Onset of effects: Smoking cannabis produces near-instantaneous effects, whereas edibles can take 45 minutes to three hours to kick in.
- Duration of effects: The effects of smoking cannabis typically peak within 2 to 4 hours and then subside, while the effects of edibles can last 8 to 12 hours or more.
- Intensity of effects: Due to the conversion of THC to 11-hydroxy-THC in the liver, the effects of edibles can be more potent and sedative than those of smoked cannabis.
7. Dosing Cannabis Edibles Correctly
Dosing edible cannabis products correctly can be challenging due to the variability in individual metabolism, tolerance, and the presence of other food in the stomach. However, there are some general guidelines to follow when consuming edibles:
- Start with a low dose: For first-time users, women, and those sensitive to cannabis side effects, a starting dose of 2.5 mg of THC is recommended. More experienced users may begin with a dose of 5 mg.
- Be patient: Due to the delayed onset of effects from edibles, it is important to wait at least two hours before increasing the dose. If necessary, increase the dose in increments of 2.5 to 5 mg until the desired effects are achieved.
- Monitor for tolerance: Frequent cannabis users may develop a tolerance to THC, requiring higher doses to achieve the same effects. To avoid this issue, take a break from cannabis consumption for a day or two.
8. Safety Tips for Cannabis Consumption
When consuming cannabis, whether through smoking or edibles, it is essential to prioritize safety. Consider the following tips:
- Use a filter when smoking to reduce the potential harm to your lungs.
- Avoid mixing cannabis with other substances, such as alcohol.
- Read labels on cannabis products for information on THC concentration, strain details, and dosing recommendations.
- Be aware that regular, high-strength cannabis use can lead to tolerance, and consider taking breaks from consumption to mitigate this issue.
In conclusion, both smoking cannabis and consuming edible cannabis products offer unique experiences and benefits. Edibles provide a longer-lasting, potentially more potent experience without the need to inhale smoke or vapor. However, they also come with their drawbacks, such as delayed onset of effects and the potential for overconsumption. By understanding the differences between these methods, users can make informed decisions about their preferred method of cannabis consumption and enjoy the associated benefits responsibly.
10. Where can I find some?
Our local delivery service in Halifax offers these great products at bluemoonhfx.com where you can get them with same day service
If your are looking to try these products and live outside our local delivery zone please use bluemooncanda.com for delivery in 2-3 days
In addition to the discount code shown in our flyer you can also use the code: doublemypoints to receive double points on any purchase.
Happy to see your taking your enjoying your summer the Blue Moon way.